Tuesday, January 15, 2008

2007.... Looking back

Well.... it was a year.... wasn't it? I've just opened this account after some serious, or not so serious, reading and motivation from my internet friend Bryan. The guy writes blogs that are so entertaining to me that I decided to set up one of my own. Its just basically going to be my exploits in, out, and around the Utah outdoors. But... before we get ahead of ourselves, lets take a look back. This should shed a little light on who I am, what I do and how I do it.
I'm a foot soldier....in regard to fishing and hunting. I try and avoid all the modern conveniences that most people these days have come to rely on.... either out of necessity, laziness, wanting to have the best, newest gear, or whatever else motivates them to spend their uber-amounts of money on the things so few can actually really afford. Last year, I fished early on with a guy, but because of personal differences, life led us down different paths. We river fished a lot, pond fished a little and when it was all said and done, I wound up fishing alone, which honestly, was as it should be. I don't have any regular fishing partners.... its been a rather solitary pursuit for me with a few rare exceptions. However, on those rare occasions, I managed to get a few pictures of myself to remind me just how disgraceful my mug can actually be. I spent a fair amount of time on one of my favorite rivers early on, with a few trips to other spots here and there. I managed to hook a few bass, some bluegills and of course, lots of brown, rainbow and a few Cutthroat trout. The days early on were cold, but over time, spring and then summer decided to make its presence known, according to the usual tick tock of Mother Nature's timepiece. Along with the trout bug, the bass flu needed its turn and so of course, I willingly obliged. Desert ponds called my name, beckoning with tantalizing overtures and of course, I couldn't resist a chance for nice bass in skinny water or on topwater lures. I took friends with me, something I might not do again with one exception, but it was fun while it lasted. I never did completely step away from my trout fishing roots however and spent a few summer days as well plying my trade on water containing some of the most gorgeous browns and bows I'd ever seen. Over the whole summer I did a little exploring, running into unexplored (at least by me) country, fishing various rivers and ponds, some new, some as comfortable as an old shoe and had a great time scratching the itch the fishing bug stirs up in a lucky few of us. I also managed to get my daughter out on her first float tube trip with me... which was reason for excitement all in itself, since she helped catch and land one of the biggest catfish she's ever hooked into. I think I may have created a convert. Anyway... as the summer passed, I knew it was time to start looking toward fall and the transformation from fisherman to hunter of game, both big and small.

The season had arrived for hunting.... I purchased a bow and began my first season as an elk hunter, actually closing the distance enough to launch a razor tipped arrow in a futile attempt to bring home the venison while instead sticking a trophy sized chunk of aspen. At least I was close... 40 yards away in fact. I almost coughed up my heart and handed it to the elk who had no idea I was even there. After the elk hunt, which created a drive in me to succeed at that sport, I moved on to upland game hunting. I began pursuing grouse in the mountains outside Heber, and in the Uintas. It was mostly an exercise in futility, although I did manage to harvest a few wild chickens along the way. I had done better the previous season, but wasn't very disappointed as I managed to struggle my way into some beautiful country in search of the forest jewels with the delectable white meat. Once the grouse season wound down due to snow in the high country, I began my pursuit of my other passion.... waterfowl. It was a good season to begin with, filled with new hunting places, decoys, geese, ducks and missed shots, especially early on. I couldn't have hit the broadside of a barn from the inside with the doors closed. At least it seemed that way pretty regularly. Frustration was the word of the day..... for many days in a row. Eventually, both through suggestion, an iron will to succeed, and time, the shot struggles were overcome and birds began to fall. I was also given some ice sleds by a generous guy from the other side of the mountain which led me into some of the most amazing hunting for ducks that I've ever done. I wound up with a few different species of ducks over the last two and a half months and I had special memories of every one. A few days of rest and I'd be back at em again. I managed to hunt over a "traveling decoy", handcarved for just this purpose, which was fun if for no other reason than the uniqueness of the experience. Its been a good year, but only leaves me looking forward to whatever treasures the future has in store.
As the season winds down and I move into 2008, I look back with a fondness, a bit of regret, and a growing respect for my wife who allows me to feed the monster and satisfy my urges to get wild and run amok in the playground God has created for me. Utah is the only place I can imagine myself living because my body feeds off of the outdoors. Its where I go to relax, replenish my soul, and find an inner peace with myself. I don't let many into this inner portrait of me, but as the years go by, I can't help but wonder if some company wouldn't make it that much more enjoyable. I have one old friend who has been there with me.... and I wouldn't trade him for the world. I also have my wife and daughter, but outside of those three, access to my life is limited and for so long, I've liked it that way. Thanks to Bryan, who's open sharing of his outdoor experiences has prompted my own blog for sharing the outdoors with fellow readers, perhaps I can share a bit of knowledge here and there, while recording the experiences for posterity. Not that anyone would be interested, but who knows... someday somebody may look through the archives of my life and find a tidbit of interest to them, prompting them to pass the outdoors experience on to their friends and family.... without embracing and passing on the outdoors heritage, we have nothing and our legacy will die with us. Its time for me to grow past my own experiences and embrace the fact that I'm no longer the youngest generation and accept that its my responsibility to make sure I'm not the last to enjoy the places and things I've seen. I'm looking forward to being able to share and hope anyone who reads this shares that exhilaration that I'm trying to pass on with print and pictures.
The Rat

1 comment:

BG said...

Look forward to reading about your adventures.!!
-Bryan